Thursday, August 4, 2011

From cans to pencil holders

I’m sure you all have seen this done before.  I took some old vegetable cans and made them into pencil holders for my classroom.

2011-08-04_15-20-32_271

Here’s what you will need.

  • Soup or vegetable can
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Pencil
  • Invisible tape
  • Ruler
  • Scissors

What to do:

First I pick my scrapbook paper that will match with the theme in my room.  I’m doing a green theme this year so I chose paper that had the same color green I was using.  Take the ruler and measure the can from top ring to the bottom ring.  Mark your scrapbook paper on both sides with this measurement.  Draw lines to connect the two sides and cut it out.  I taped one side to the can then wrapped it around then taped the seam down.  Easy, right?

2011-08-04_15-20-55_326

You can also take some acrylic paint and paint the top lip and the bottom of the can to match.  I did that on two cans and the other two I left the way they were.  Make sure to paint them before taping the paper on.

Signature

1 comment:

  1. I follow your blog now... It's 2 in the morning by me and I saw these... I have to admit I had a "duh" moment. I actually hadn't thought of using vegetable cans and I so need pencil cups this year!

    Kelley
    First Grade Has Class

    ReplyDelete