Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The One Where I Finally Got In My Classroom

That's right!  You read that correctly.  We FINALLY are able to get in.  I didn't get a lot done.  I've decided to rearrange a lot of stuff.  Plus, I'm going to do it.  I'm giving up my teacher desk.
It seems sort of scary to let it go.  However, I've read on many blogs that once it's gone, you don't even miss it.  We'll see!  I don't think I will miss it.  I sit mostly at my small group table to work and I use my laptop. Anyway, I've taken some photos when I first walk in my room.  Here they are:



 While I was moving stuff around, I found this (below).  It is how I organize my sight words for the year.  They are just printed on plain paper and laminated.  We use Reading Street as our reading curriculum and Reading Street uses a Unit/Week system.  So I divided them all up by their unit and the week within that unit (eg. Unit 1, Week 3).  I also wrote each unit and week on the back of each sight word so at the end of the year I can put them all back in the correct section.  I used index cards I got from Dollar Tree and rectangle colored labels that I cut in half.  I stick it to the front side then fold it over and stick it to the back, thus making a little tab.  I'm pretty sure I also got the labels and holder from Dollar Tree but I'm not positive.
 Now are the photos from what I actually did in the room.  Still looks like a mess but it's progress.


Well, that is it for now.  I'm going in tomorrow and getting some more done so I will probably have more photos.  Tell then!

4 comments:

  1. I'm dumping the teacher desk too! Last year all mine did was collect piles and make me crazy. I am already liking not having to worry about it-and the extra space (although they still haven't moved it out of my classroom yet...) Can't wait to have all the extra furniture out of my room!
    Good luck with the rest of set up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piles are one reason I'm getting rid of it too. No matter how much I tried to stay organized, I always had one pile that I could never find a place for. I'm going to try to keep a teacher binder to hold everything so I don't end up with that odd pile.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you got into your classroom today. And, I LOVE your blog title today, Friends is still my favorite show. :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favorite shows, too. You can probably tell! LOL. I got all 10 season on DVD for Valentine's Day. I have been rewatching all the episodes all summer. I am on season 9.
      I liked how their show titles used the same consistency and thought it would work well to make my blog a little different.

      Thanks for following!

      Delete