Saturday, August 18, 2012

The One With The Allergies

What a crazy week!  Of course, it was the first week of school so I knew what was in store.  It flew by but I was never able to catch up.

I have to go in tomorrow to get ready for next week.  I have a ton of copies to make.  There was no time to get anything done.  It's funny how I go in at 7:00 every morning (we don't actually start till 7:45) and leave school after 4:00 and nothing more gets done.  Only what needs to be done right away.  I get no time to prepare.

Our state went to the A-F grading system.  Our school, unfortunately, got a D for last year.  Now the district is deciding everything we do.  They made our schedules, increased our intervention time, and took away most of our "special" classes.  We no longer have computers and library time has been cut down to 15 minutes a week.    

We now have 1 hour of each reading and math interventions, 2 hours of reading, and an hour and a half of math.  This also left use with no time for recess.  Apparently, they never read the study done last year that determined students did better when they got 15 minutes of recess in the morning and afternoon.

Anyway, it's a little frustrating to see that they think quantity is over ruling quality.  But most of the people in the big offices have never been in a classroom (at least not anytime recently).

Sorry, I had to vent a little.  LOL.

Because of the craziness at school, nothing got done at home all week.  I actually enjoy cleaning (crazy, I know!) but I was too tired to do any of it.  Today was my "catch-up at home" day.  I also have been having extreme allergies and I ran out of allergy medication a few days ago.  I haven't had a ton of time or energy to get more.  I finally made it to the store today to stock up.  I'm feeling a lot better now.  My eyes have stopped feeling itchy and watering.  I've stopped sneezing uncontrollably and I feel a lot less congested.  Aww! the miracle of Zyrtec!

Well, I need to finish the bathroom and then the dishes so I can relax with a glass of wine.

Enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I've never had an allergy problem! The fiancée takes Zyrtec daily!

    It's funny you get to school at 7! I arrive at 630 and leave at 5! We start at 745 and end at 345 but I'm never caught up. I wish people understood that our actual job is teaching kids. We don't have time during work to prepare to do our jobs. People don't get that. I'm jealous you can go in on weekends. I wish we could.

    No wine for me...I don't like wine. But give me some Grey Goose!


    Random...thought about you earlier and wanted to ask you something but now I can't remember. Ugh I hate getting old!

    Greg
    Www.kindergartensmorgasboard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing with going in on weekends and staying past 3:30 on week days is the air conditioning. It heats up very quickly in the building without it. I'm usually hot through out the day with air conditioning anyway. Hopefully, it won't be too hot today when I go in.

      If you remember what you wanted to ask me, you know where I am. Ask away! :)

      Delete
  2. I may have said this before but I always read your post because they start with "The one with the . . . " like from Friends. I love Friends.

    Anyway, I hope that things get better. I too am experiencing how difficult things are when people who don't know anything about teaching decide to make decisions for classrooms. This has been the hardest year so far for me in that respect.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete