Saturday, August 4, 2012

The One With The Middle Finger

Today I'm participating in Greg Smedley's "Kids Say The Darndest Things!" linky party.  Well, my story doesn't really have a lot to do with what a student said, it's more of what the student did.

I was in the middle of my student teaching.  I was student teaching  in a kindergarten classroom.   The class was great!

One morning, my mentor teacher and I were on the playground watching the kids at recess.  We were both chatting as we were watching the kiddos and one girl from our class come up and said "Marissa hurt her finger."  So we told her that if it's that big of a deal then Marissa needs to come over and tell us herself.

My mentor and I started chatting again for about 5 minutes.  Then little Marissa walks up and stands in front of us.  I asked her what she needs and she puts her hand on her hip, pushes her hip out, and flips us off.
We were both stunned.  We probably didn't say anything for like a full minute, all the while this little girl is standing there with her Diva pose and her middle finger sticking up.

So then my mentor asked her, "Is there more to this story?" and then she proceeded to tell us the story of she hurt finger.

I had to turn away because I started laughing.  Marissa's finger was fine so we sent her on her way to go back playing.  After she left, we had a pretty good laugh.

Thanks Greg for allowing me to share that story with everyone.  If you would like to link up.  Click his button.

Smedley’s Smorgasboard of Kindergarten

I also wanted to post some pictures of the progress in my room.  The rest of this post will be mostly pictures with a little text.  Here goes!

This is my jar that I use for our Caught Being Good Tickets!  I just use tickets that can be bought at Dollar Tree.  I think there are 250 in the pack.  After I "catch" a student doing something good then I give them a ticket.  They write their name on the back and throw it in the jar.  I draw 5 names each Friday.  Then those students get to pick from my treasure chest.  I keep all the tickets in there from week to week.
 View from the door.  It's looking a little less messy.
 I had to redo this bulletin board (if you remember it was all black).  Well, last year my air conditioner kept leaking.  Far as I know it's fixed now.  Anyway, the black paper was all messed up from getting wet  so I decided to cut out that portion and put new black paper up.  Only... guess what??  We were out of black paper so I went with red.  I was a little mad at first but it's growing on me.

 I've been reducing a lot of my clutter from my teacher desk.  It's getting much better.  I've been organizing things into bins.  It's getting there! :)


Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I love the "caught being good" ticket idea! I want to implement a tickets system of some sort, and this is a great way to do it. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

    Sarah
    Miss A's Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the caught being good jar last year. But they could choose as a group of 3 whether I was going to eat lunch with them or if they were going to stay in during their longer recess and play on computers or do the activity of their choice. Worked great and it was free:)

    ReplyDelete