Saturday, September 8, 2012

The One Where It's Finally Feeling Like Fall

It was a gloomy day in Roswell, NM.  The temperature was in the low 70s and it has been raining.  Rain doesn't happen a lot in Roswell and it's been ever drier than normal.  I love the rain.  I also love it when the temperature is in the 70s. 

I spent a lot of time in doors except for a quick run to Target and the grocery store.  Target has put a lot of their teacher stuff from their Dollar Spot on clearance.  I got some stickers, magazine holders (3), and a set of addition flashcards for 30 cents each.  It was pretty wonderful.

The rest of the time I spent trying to get some stuff done for next week.  I've been racking my brain for more math centers ideas.  It's always hard to have stuff for the beginning of the year.  The kiddos are still reviewing a lot of kindergarten stuff and majority of my center stuff is for later in the year.  I usually mix reading and math together in centers but this year we have to do an hour of each. 

I was not prepared for it because we all found out about it a few days before school started.  The kids have been doing great in centers.  Last week's centers went very well.  They were a little hard for them at first but once they got used to them it went so much smoother.  If you have any great beginning of the year math centers you like to do, please feel free to share them with me.  I would greatly appreciate it.

While I was trying to come up with some ideas I did make some Problem of the Day math worksheets.  Each one has a word problem and a space for the students to show their work.  The students will be in pairs to do the worksheet. 

I will read the word problem to the students and tell them how to complete the worksheet.  I will not tell them what they need to do to solve the problem.  They will need to solve the problem any way they can with their partner and show how they did it on the space provided. 

I'm excited about giving this a try with my class (and a little scared).  It helps the students build their problem solving skills.  It fits into the Common Core State Standards for first grade.  If you would like to grab yourself a copy, I have put it in my TpT store... for FREE!

I guess I should get back to planning out my math centers.  Again, if you have any suggestions please feel free to share them.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I just posted about my Guided Math Centers, and for the beginning of the year, I'm doing number line work (putting apples with #'s on them up to 120 for common core...we're starting with through 30 for K review), weekly graph center where they just have to make a choice at the beginning of the week for the graph, then kids fill in a blank graph and answer simple questions at centers, number sense where they are matching sets, like little apple stamps to match numeral. They stamp how many to match the actual numeral. We're also doing simple problem solving with more picture than words, like "I have 3 (green apple) and 2 (red apple). How many in all? Hope this helps! Good luck with math centers - we have to do both, as well!

    Kelly
    First Grade Fairytales

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's starting to feel like fall here in NE too. <3 Fall. :)

    M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was started too feel a little like fall here too in NC, but it was in the low 80's. I had to wear a sweatshirt though while I was cutting grass as the sun was going down. I can't wait to feel the crunch of leaves beneath my feet. :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac: Pencil Sharpener Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete