Sunday, September 30, 2012

The One With Reading Mastery

Man, I have been so busy lately.  I have a lot to tell but I will try to keep it all pretty short.  I don't even know where to even start.  LOL.

I think the last time I posted was right before parent teacher conferences (gosh, has it been that long since I posted!)  They went pretty well.  I had an okay turn out.  I think I had 16 out of the then 19 students show up.  It is always hard doing conferences so early in the year.

Our state does a teacher Professional Development Dossier to have teachers move up in levels.  Our state has 3 levels of licensure.  The first level is for only 5 years.  After that we must complete a Dossier to move to level 2.  I then can either stay in level 2 or get my masters and do another Dossier to move to level 3.  Each move in licensure also gives us a $10,000 raise.  I'm currently in level 1.

Our district provides us with Dossier classes so we know how to prepare for the 3 strands of it.  I started going to classes 2 weeks ago and they are from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. every Wednesday.  I appreciate the help in preparing my Dossier but I'm starting to dread Wednesdays.  LOL. I'm just so tired after sitting through the class and it's in the middle of the week.  It will all be over in December.  Hopefully by then I will have my Dossier complete.  However, I more than likely will not be able to submit it until July.

I have to have 3 successful evaluations before I can submit it.  The window is only open from July to March and I'm not sure if I will have my evaluation done before the window closes.  I may get lucky and my principal can do it early.  If I do submit it in March, and it passes, I won't see my raise until next year.  It will be nice to be done with it all, though.

We also found out that our district will be doing Reading Mastery district wide.  We have yet to receive the materials but I spent my Saturday (yesterday) sitting through training for it.  It seems interesting and sort of easy to do.  I say sort of easy because the way we do the program is going to take some practice.  Does any of you do Reading Mastery?

We are only going to be using it for our small group interventions for our low kids.  I think it will work pretty great.  I might use it for all kids so the others are not getting neglected.  It always seemed funny to spend so much time bringing the low kids up but not helping the middle or high kids.

I was going to spend some time planning stuff for next week but I think I will wait until tomorrow.  We have tomorrow off because our county fair starts tomorrow and they have a parade to celebrate the start of it all.  We are also going on a field trip to the fair on Friday.  I love taking the kids to the fair.  It is always a lot of fun.  They have a kid's day on Friday so they do shows and demonstrations.  The rides and vendors are not open but we wouldn't have time anyway with all the stuff they plan for us.

Ok, I told you I was going to keep it short so I guess that is all for tonight.  I hope everyone has a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm jealous of the raises you get each time you move...we get at most $4,000 per lateral move (i.e., Bachelor+15, Masters, Masters+15, Master+30). I bet sitting through classes is sooo dull and exhausting though!

    I'm anxious to hear how your "Reading Mastery" intervention program goes. I've never heard of it, but I like learning about new intervention programs.

    œKaryn
    A is for Apple B is for Blog
    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete