Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The One With Instragram

Mr. Michelbook is BACK!!!!

It has been a few crazy months.  I have been so busy with teaching and working on the house that I took a major break from blogging.  I even stopped reading blogs and just took myself completely out of the blogging world.  I missed it but time was an issue.

I know some of you use blogging as a release from the daily ventures.  I love blogging and so glad to be back.  There has been a lot going on and I think it's time for a quick recap.

We have about 3 1/2 weeks left of school.  The kids have been insane in the classroom.  I feel like I need to leave them at the zoo when we go on our field trip in 9 days.  I have searched for ideas for ways to keep them under control.  I thought I would share a few of them that I have found (or borrowed from the teacher next door).

One major problem was blurting out.  I found on Pinterest a teacher (sorry I don't remember exactly who it was) that created a Blurt Chart.  I took her idea and changed it some to work effectively in my classroom.   Here's a pic of what I came up with:

 I used poster board and I chose to use numbers for each student so I can use it again next year.  Each student starts the day with 3 clothes pins (blurts).  I wrote smiley faces on each one.  One the side of the chart, I used an old baby wipes containers to hold the clothes pins that they lose.  If they keep all three blurts, they get a sticker.  After 5 stickers, they get to pick from the prize box.  If they lose all three of their blurts they have to lose a star on our behavior chart.  The kids have been loving this.

I also borrowed this following idea from the teacher in the classroom next door to mine.  She used cardboard for the crust.  The cheese is made from the paper "grass" used in Easter baskets.  The pepperonis are made from red poster board.
Each time the whole class follows the rules correctly they earn a pepperoni.  The class needs to put 25 pepperonis on the pizza to earn a pizza party.  She numbered all 25 pepperonis so she wouldn't have to count them each time.  I have used this same exact idea in my class and it's working great.  Do the students earn pepperonis every day?  No!  but they do try to work hard to earn them.  We are up to 13 pepperonis on our pizza.  It's nice too, because I can ask them "we have 13 pepperonis and we need 25.  How many more do we need to earn?"  Hands shoot up to answer the question each time we earn a pepperoni.

What are some ways you are keeping your monkeys under control during this time of year?

Now to my last thing before I'm blogged out.  I have decided to join Clutter Free Classroom on her Instagram challange.  It's a May Photo-a-Day.  Here's a link to it:

If you would like follow me on Instagram,  click here: Instagram
Hope you join in on the fun

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love your blurting chart. We so need this in our class. Brilliant. :)

    Mels

    ReplyDelete