Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The One with the Teacher Toolbox


I have decided to finally make a teacher toolbox.  I've been wanting to make one since last year but never got around to doing it.  Also, they always seemed rather big.  Looking at them now, they really aren't considering all the stuff I can store in it.


After having students all last year steal my paper clips and binder clips I decided it was time.  Students would also look through my supply organizer that I had on my table and it drove me crazy.  I needed this!

So yesterday I went to my local Ace Hardware (I'm boycotting The Home Depot because of their awful customer service) and picked up the storage cabinet for $14.99 and then I bought Rust-Oleum in Key Lime.  The color matched my classroom colors perfectly.

I took all the drawers out and roughed up the surface with 220 grit sand paper.  Then gave the frame 2 coats of paint.  While the paint was drying I made up my labels.  I found dimensions for the drawers at Create*Teach*Share.  It was difficult to decide on all the things I wanted to put in it.  After I printed out my labels I taped the labels inside each drawer with clear tape. I only taped it to the sides.  Not the front of the drawer.  It takes a few tries to get the labels to be straight in the front.

Then I picked scrapbook paper that matches the frame and cut it to 8 1/2 x 11 (to fit in my printer).  I took the dimensions given by Rebecca to print the background for each drawer.  I cut them all out and also taped these inside the drawer (no worries, you can't see then tape).

Ta-Dah!  All done!
I can't wait to use it!  It will keep sticky fingers away from my supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment