Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The One with the Vocabulary Foldable Flipbook

Today was a crazy day.  I had to finish assessing students on their sight words.  So I did fun centers for the morning so I can finish.  I tried to do normal Daily 5 and math centers but they were fighting and being so loud it was too hard to test.

I mentioned in my last post that I was wanting to revamp my day in the classroom.  One idea that our reading coach did with my class was a vocabulary flipbook.  I loved it so much that I wanted to share it with you.
First you will need a bunch of paper.  I chose to use a different color for each word.  I'm using it for our sight words for the week after break.  We have 7 sight words that day so my flipbook will have 7 different color pages.
You will then cut each sheet in half so you end up with 2 half-sheets.  I have 21 students so I only needed 11 sheets of each color.
After all the pieces are cut in half (hamburger), fold each half-sheet in half (hot dog).
Then you will need to cut a slit on the front side (if you set it like a tent, the side facing you) about 1/2 inch from the left side.  Do not cut through both sides or it will fall off.
Do this with all sheets.
Then line them all up - cut sides all facing up and put two staples on the small side of your cut.
Then viola! you have a flip book.
The students write their word on the front on the page.  We talk about any known phonic rules or sounds we can add as clues to sound it out.  Then the students open it up by lifting up the page with their word on it.  We use their readers to locate the word in their story and they write the sentence the word was in on the bottom half.  They can use the top half to illustrate the sentence.

Hopefully, you found this helpful and that I explained it well.  My little owls loved doing it with our reading coach.  I'm excited to use it with them when we get back from break.  I'm planning on having the students write all their words during our whole group lesson.  Then have the students do the rest during Daily 5.  Doing it all at one time takes a long time and some students write faster than others.

If you have any further questions about my flipbooks, hit me up!


No comments:

Post a Comment