Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The One with a Day of Tragedy

I did not think I would ever be writing a post like this.  I would hope that no other person ever will.

Today, around 8 this morning, a 12 year took a concealed shotgun into a middle school and shot two students.  This happened at a middle school about 20 minutes from the elementary school where I work.

We were called into a mandatory staff meeting at 8:20 and were informed of the situation.  They did say the suspect had been caught but no one had any other information.  All day this was on my mind.  We slowly got more details but we weren't sure if it was rumors or truth.

What I do know now is a least 2 students were critically hurt and were air lifted to Lubbock, Texas.  There are reports that a teacher was also injured but did not seek medical attention.  One of the students shot was reported as being the shooters intended victim.

Such a sad and tragic event.  Please pray for the families, students, and teachers of Berrendo Middle School in Roswell, NM.


4 comments:

  1. That is so disturbing. I always wonder what I would do if, God forbid, I was ever put into that situation. I know that scenario plays through every teacher's head....just hope it never becomes a reality. Stay safe!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So unbelievably sad. Sending my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted about an ABQ NM blog meet up for Feb. Hope you can join us.
    http://albuquerqueamysfirstgraders.blogspot.com/2014/01/nm-bloggy-meet-up.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a note about the post above- I couldn't believe it when I heard it either. Even though I am all the way up in the ABQ area, it still feels very close to home. Unreal how little kids are doing things like this.
      Stay safe.

      Delete