Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The One with St. Patrick's Day Fun

So I'm just going to act like I haven't blogged in ages. I'm sitting here watching Roseanne while I wait for a plumber to show up. We had a leak somewhere between the two bathrooms. We removed the drywall in one bathroom to see if it was a fix we could do ourselves. Only to see that we can't find the leak. We can hear water somewhere but we see nothing. So we think it maybe under the slab. Agh!
As I was typing this the plumbers showed up. They are now digging in the yard.
I had to take today off to deal with this. I had plans to work on stuff for school and the wedding (that is less than 3 weeks away).  However, nothing has been done as I'm typing this on my phone so I can keep checking in with the plumbers.

Last I checked with the plumbers was the scene from my dining room window:
Looks like a mess!

Anyway, let's get down to business. We had a lot of fun doing St. Patrick's Day activities, finishing our informative writing and starting opinion writing.

Monday was a fun day.  I love St. Patrick's Day!  I love the corned beef, wearing green, and the green beer.  We didn't get to have the corned beef and green beer at school but we still had a lot of fun.  I planned for them to make these cute leprechauns to hang up in the hallway.  I found them on First Grade Parade.
I love the way they came out.  We read lots of St. Paddy's Day books.  We even had a visit from a leprechaun.  I told the kids during our morning meeting that I had set up a trap and caught a leprechaun.  I had a bag that I cut a small hole in the corner.  Then I asked the kids if they would like to see the leprechaun. They were so excited!  I reached my hand inside and started feeling around.  Then I poked my finger out of the small hole in the bag and told them I guess he got away.  I told them I knew he was in the bag when I got to school so he must be loose in the school.  We then made wanted signs to hang up in the hallway so we can find him.  Here is the one I created for it (unfortunately I don't have a copy of one the kids completed).
We hung them up in the hallway then went to recess.  While we were at recess the leprechaun came out of hiding and messed up the room.  Things were thrown on the floor, the trash cans and chairs were tipped over, and he wrote on our whiteboard.  He wrote "The leprechaun wuz here! Ha Ha Ha!"  One student said I did it but then another one said "No, Mr. Michelbook knows how to spell the word 'was'."  That made me laugh.

The kids cleaned up after the leprechaun and it was time to get back to work.  We decided it was best to be super quite while we finished reading and worked on Daily 5 to see if the leprechaun would come out of hiding.  

That lasted almost the whole day.  It was pretty great.  Unfortunately, we never did see the leprechaun again.  
I love St. Patrick's Day!  Sorry this post is over a week late.  BTW, the plumbers have finished and I have no idea how much it will cost.  They did tell me that is will be pretty much just the cost of labor.  I'm a little terrified to see the bill when it arrives in the mail.  The leak was in the slab but they were able to run a new line without having to jackhammer the slab.  Jeah!

1 comment:

  1. I nominated you for a Sunshine Blogger Award.
    http://albuquerqueamysfirstgraders.blogspot.com/2014/03/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete